Sunday 24 July 2016

Safe Haven For Women-Cinnamon Stays



Rushina Munshaw is a Mumbai based celebrity chef. She has always preferred to stay at Cinnamon whenever she visits Gurgaon. Over the years, she has become a regular guest. For someone, who has a host of options, she chooses Cinnamon over and over again. We nudged her to tell us more and she sent us this lovely note! 

Food and Travel…these are the two things that drive my soul. Back in the years, when I decided I had to become a chef, I also knew that it will only be travel that will “feed” my soul that yearns for “Food”






I have traveled to various corners of the country and abroad to learn about food. One thing that I learnt is that a place is defined by its people and its food. So the more I traveled the more I learnt. Needless to say, as a solo woman traveler, I had to be mindful of places I was visiting and especially places I would be staying.

Not long ago, when I decided to visit Delhi for its culinary delight, I was not sure what would be the safest place to stay in Gurgaon.  Lucky for me, a dear friend suggested to give Cinnamon Stays a try. A phone call to Shilpi and I was ready to take the plunge. 

I had inhibitions about being in Gurgaon and this was my first time in an Indian homestay. I had just about landed, when I got a call from Shilpi, not just to give me directions but also to tell me that Gurgaon is very safe and that I should not go by hearsay. It was heartening to note that someone I had not even met was being so warm towards me. 

That was my first time in Cinnamon and I had never had to look anywhere else for my stay in Gurgaon each time I visit. So much so that I often joke with Shilpi and Manish that they should always have a spare room for me just in case I land up unannounced!

Come to think of it, why did I get hooked to this place? It is almost like falling in love, reasons being plenty but it energized me from the core and made me feel so loved! Yet, some of the reasons that I can think of are:

  1. Extremely women friendly
When you have a Life Coach as your host and a housekeeper who are both women, the place ought to be women friendly. I can think of so many conversations I have had with Shilpi on women issues. In a place whose host so strongly believes in the cause of women, you can imagine the lengths she would go to, to make it safe for independant women traveler!

2.           Safety is primary - There is absolutely no compromise on safety. Not just for women guests but everyone who is a guest. The homestay is enclosed in a gated community. No walk in guests are entertained. It allows flexible check in and check out time which makes it convenient.

3.           Feeds my femininity! I am totally taken by the way Cinnamon Stays breathes aesthetics. Their décor, their quirky rooms, their “unhotelness” all add up to one thing - I just love the way it looks and “feels”. I draw a huge parallel with my own place in Mumbai which again is full of collectibles that add a dash of quirkiness and fun making it very homey for me.


4.           Work on a unique concept of inviting guests - Cinnamon Stays confirms bookings only through Word of Mouth, referrals and networks. This gives them the huge advantage of “knowing” their guest and more so, assuring safety of the other guests. Their “Friends of Cinnamon” program ensures that people who stay here are both genuine and interesting!

5.           Soft landing for all - Cinnamon gave me a soft landing in a place that was new to me. It does that for everyone who is a first timer. I believe, they extend support in relocation and business travel. For a solo traveler like me, Cinnamon gave me the comfort, warmth and safety that I may say I have not been able to match anywhere in the world.


I wish to share some of my moments there with the lovely hosts and their son Neo. Do have a look at my picture parade and as they say, “a picture says a thousand words”, you will know “exactly” what I am trying to say! Enjoy your stay in Cinnamon. This is one place you should never think of saying no to!









 

No comments:

Post a Comment