Tuesday 9 August 2016

Cinnamon For Parents of Residential Schools in Gurgaon



I had to make a tough choice. My daughter was in Grade 7 and she had already moved 9 schools in the past 9 years of her formal schooling. My husband being in the Army had moved those many stations. When she was younger, it was easier to move her. Notwithstanding the fact that my 12 year old became very adaptable, flexible and resilient in life, we got thinking that if she was to flourish holistically, she needed a school in a place that would help her focus on her future than being accepted in the next school. The choice was made easier when my husband was transferred to the north eastern part of the country where schooling would be compromised. 
(Picture Courtesy - www.clipartpanda.com)


We were seeking stability and after much thought, we roped into a prestigious school located at Sohna Road Gurgaon. One complete term had passed since she started her Boarding School. It was time to visit her for her 3 day break and I was very eager to see my doll’s face, meet her teachers and spend time with her. Being a long weekend plus 3 full days off from school, I wasn’t too keen on booking a hotel. The long weekend meant either over booked or over priced rooms.

My friend finally suggested that I visit Cinnamon Stays, a homestay run by the husband - wife duo Manish and Shilpi. I had never been a guest at anyone’s place before, leave alone strangers. Albeit hesitatingly, I put in a call. I was told that I was more than welcome to stay and before I knew it, I was on my way to visit my daughter hoping for a satisfying stay at Cinnamon.



I was in for a surprise as Cinnamon scored way beyond expectations. When I entered the place, the first thing that struck me was the genuine smile of every person I encountered - staff as well as other guests. Let me list down why Cinnamon Stays seems to be the ideal place for visiting parents of hosteliers and boarders of nearby schools.

  1. Located very close to the school
The biggest advantage is where Cinnamon is located. My daughter’s school - G D Goenka is walking distance away. Staying here, it took away the stress of having to travel in Gurgaon. I could just take an auto and I was there in no time. In fact a couple of times, Shilpi even dropped me off since she was going the same way. Convenience of being so close to the school premises saved me a lot of time and money. This is not just true for G D Goenka but even Pathways that is close to Cinnamon.
 

(Picture Courtesy - Pathways School, Gurgaon)





(Picture Courtesy - GD Goenka School, Gurgaon)


2.           Rooms with character
As I was completing the check in formalities, Shilpi gave me a choice of choosing the room since that day two double rooms were available. One look at both the rooms and I knew my teenage daughter would love to stay at the Bollywood room. I had missed my daughter immensely and making her stay in a room that reminded her of her space back home was a huge value add. You should have seen the delight on her face when I first brought her in! 


3.           Flexibility of spending time with the child
With a thousand errands to run in the school, we were walking in and out of the homestay at odd hours. But the staff did everything to make us comfortable. Imagine they would serve us breakfast at 7am and even pack snacks for my daughter. I had never experienced hospitality of this kind. It was something I took away as learning!


(Picture Courtesy - www.nelive.com)


4.           Handy tips to move around Gurgaon
It was the first time both my daughter and I were in Gurgaon. With ample time in hand, we wanted to do a lot of stuff. Advice can pour in from all ends and internet can confuse you to the bits. It was then that Shilpi stepped in and took us through what we were really interested in. She helped us shortlist places, gave us tips on local travel and even introduced us to some of her friends and acquaintances. The personal touch will remain with me forever!

 (Picture Courtesy - www.indiarailinfo.com)
5.           Home made meals
One thing that my daughter missed the most is “ghar ka khana” and I missed cooking for her. Being served authentic home made meals brought a big satiating smile to our faces. This is not all, I so wanted to feed my daughter my signature brownies. Guess what! Shilpi decided that I should bake in the kitchen and also let her chef have a “dekho”. It was the most heartening thing for me as I saw every person in the homestay gobble up my brownies!


(Picture Courtesy - www.recipehubs.com)

6.           New Guardians / Friends
Saying good byes is never easy when it comes to children. As the days to go back home started approaching, I was a bundle of nerves. Shilpi(later I was told is also an Executive  Coach), sat me down and we spoke at length on parenting and motherhood. Her assurances of being there for my daughter made me feel secure.

For all its worth, Shilpi and Manish understood my requirement as a parent. I would recommend all visiting parents to stay with them only because they “connect” and “feel” what you are going through with your children.

No comments:

Post a Comment